Ankle arthritis may be debilitating and significantly limit your activity due to pain and swelling.
Dr. Prasla has extensive training in the treatment of ankle arthritis, primary total ankle replacements and revision total ankle replacements.
Ankle Arthritis FAQ’s
Causes of Arthritis
While there are numerous causes of ankle arthritis the most common causes are:
- History of previous ankle injury
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Mal-alignment of the ankle from a deformity
What are my treatment options?
- During the early stages of arthritis, steroid injections may help relieve pain periodically
- Ankle bracing
- Custom or Over the counter
- Surgical options may including:
- Joint debridement
- Fusion of the ankle joint
- Total ankle replacement
Difference between Ankle fusion vs Total Ankle Replacement?
- Ankle fusions is long considered a gold standard for the treatment of end-stage ankle arthritis. This procedure eliminates ankle pain by eliminate painful motion in the ankle joint. However, this motion is transferred to neighboring joints and those joints may become symptomatic.
- Total ankle replacements eliminates pain by removing the existing painful joint and replacing it. Modern techniques and advances in the engineering of the new implants have increased the longevity of ankle implants.
Which procedure is right for me?
- This is a decision made between you and Dr. Prasla. We take in consideration your activity, your goals, history of the ankle joint.
- Generally, the total ankle implants will last longer if the stresses on the implant are low. If you are young and have a high demand on your ankle, a fusion may be the procedure of choice